Teaching Self-Government Seminar
Preparing the Family for Greatness
Changing Children’s Hearts and Behaviors by Teaching Self-Government
Presenter: Nicholeen Peck
The Foundation of Effective Parenting: Family Mission
- When I first started parenting my children and foster children, I tried to do everything just like the parenting books said, but for some reason my home still didn’t feel happy and peaceful like I wanted it to. There was a feeling of selfishness in the air. Even though we were able to effectively communicate, we were not united in purpose as an entire family. Over the years I have learned that effective, joyful parenting begins with something deeper than philosophy and psychology, which is were parenting principles are rooted. The foundation of parenting and the family is vision. Before I tell you all of the specific steps to Teaching Self-Government, come see the future of your family. This class lays the foundation for Teaching Self-Government; as well as changes the hearts and focus of your entire family.
Building Good Family Government
- The Family is the Learning Place. Then why do most parents feel like they are drowning in fights, attitude problems, whining, and disobedience? Before you can teach children how to govern themselves, you must create a system of government in your home. This class is designed to identify the problems your family system might be having and correct them, or to help you find the system your family will thrive with. Family Organization makes all the difference.
Teaching Self Government
- If we are constantly battling our children at home, how can we create an environment to build leaders? The most inspiring of all lessons taught in the home is that of a good parent/child relationship. There are no tricks to achieving children that govern themselves, while happily and willingly obeying the counsel of their parents. A working family government and atmosphere of acceptance and love turns the heart of a child to his/her parents. Don’t just parent your children; teach them the skills they need to govern themselves.
Raising Warriors for God
- Many Parents have a feeling that they are raising a generation of warriors. This is an exciting time. This is a difficult time. How do we raise a generation of warriors in these times of social mediocrity? We need to Raise up a Family unto the Lord. In this class we will discuss what our future warriors need to know to be ready for their call to action, and how to set up an environment that will make warriors.
Raising Children with Character
- There was a time when people were defined by the status of their character. People either had a degree of good character or didn't have any character. Improving one's character through study of principles was of high importance to those who had vision for the future. Samuel Smiles spoke of leaders with character: "Men of genuine excellence, in every station of life…command the spontaneous homage of mankind. It is natural to believe in such men, to have confidence in them, and to imitate them. All that is good in the world is upheld by them, and without their presence in it, the world would not be worth living in." In our current society character is under attack, and most people have no idea because noticing a person's character isn't common anymore. We will explore how character development is an essential part of building a leader, and learn different character elements which should be taught during each phase of learning.
Nicholeen Peck is a mother of four and previous foster parent of many. She has been trained and certified in using the “Teaching Family Model”, which was developed at Boys Town and is used by the Utah Youth Village. Nicholeen did foster care for very difficult teens. She taught children with ADHD, OCD, kleptomania, compulsive lying, anger control issues, etc. She said, “I taught behaviors, not medication. Children came to us on many medications and usually leave not on any medications. Many children are misdiagnosed. They just need to learn cause and effect better.” She has been teaching self government skills to people all over the world for 11 years and has just completed a book on this subject called Parenting A House United. Recently, Nicholeen and her family were filmed by the BBC for a documentary on parenting. Visit Nicholeen’s blog http://teachingselfgovernment.com